With the influx of railway workers to Stafford during the 1830s and 1840s, new housing was much needed. Sir George William Stafford-Jerningham owned Stafford Castle and land to the east, and due to his ambitious plans to convert the Elizabethan hall at Costessy Hall in Norfolk into a Gothic fantasy, he began selling and leasing his land in order to raise the necessary funds.
This sale of land allowed the building of an estate of cottages in what was then called New Town; an area now known as Castletown. The Railway Inn was built in the 1840s in what was then High Street, New Town. By around 1881 High Street had become Castle Street, which it remains as today.
During the late 1800s and throughout the 1900s, Castle Street was an almost self-sufficient shopping centre for the people of Castletown. With a butcher's shop & slaughterhouse, a dairy, a cobbler, a general store, a bakery and 3 pubs (The Castle Tavern, currently Simply Bilash, was originally on Castle Street, and the car park opposite The Railway Inn was once The Vine Inn), residents of the area were well catered for!
Whilst the shops and businesses have fallen by the wayside, The Railway Inn has been in near-constant use for all these years. Castletown continues to be a thriving, popular location for people of all types and ages, with The Railway Inn being the real hub of the community.
(Source: © The Inns and Alehouses of Stafford by John Connor)